Point of
View (POV) had been an issue for me early on. As a young writer, I found myself
writing a lot of fiction works in first person. Having kept a diary from an
early age (9 to be exact), it was important to me to chronicle every detail of
my life with absolute clarity that left no room for my reader to question who
was telling the tale. It was easy to be a victim or a martyr or a hero when I
was calling the shots in my stories. I could cry as many rivers as I wanted,
sacrifice as many scruples as I needed, and save as many underdogs as my heart
desired. My writer’s voice was emotional and poignant, yet always childishly
direct and overly self-involved. For me, a story was best told from the eyes of
the one who experienced it firsthand. But that was the problem. I was telling the whole story all while showing absolutely nothing.
Fast-forward
about six years. In high school, I was encouraged to write a lot of observational
and objective pieces, which helped to broaden my scope into the world of third
person narration. I told stories with a third person limited voice, trying my
hand at portraying different main character vantage points. I soon became less
emotional and more literal. There was a distance from myself and my main
characters which soon grew into a great divide. I began to lean heavily
exposition, trying to fill in the gaps that I felt the narrator created.
I
yearned to be back inside one character’s head but I didn’t like the idea of
being confined there. What if something major happened in Paris and my
character was in Chicago? What then? Tack on a few more years and 7 Harry
Potter books later. J.K. Rowling blew my mind. She was everywhere yet nowhere. Inside
everyone’s thoughts, yet never left a trace. How did she do it?
Third
Person Omniscient!
Several things shape a good piece of writing besides POV, but for me it was a major deciding factor in finding my place as an author. While it may come quick for some, others will struggle with discovering what works best for them, like I did. My advice is to try everything first before deciding what best fits you, but above all else, keep your options open. What works today may not work tomorrow. This is something I learned the hard way.
Carolyn
No comments:
Post a Comment