Carolyn M. Walker


Old Blog of Carolyn M. Walker

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Water on Mars? Scientists are Hopeful

Water on Mars Carolyn M Walker
Photo courtesy Mars Reconnaissance orbiter/University of Arizona/JPL/NASA
Hi Everyone! It has been a while (far too long) since I've last posted. A combination of sharing the flu among family members and extra soccer practices will do that to you. (Okay, no more excuses!)
Something in the news today jolted me back into writer mode. The recent discovery of water on Mars!

It makes me think of the common phrases: "when pigs fly," or "when hell freezes over," but "when Mars has water," really? Hmmm. So now that I'm on the current events train, I might as well keep chugging along.

Mars. The red planet. The future planet. The planet portrayed with red clay mountains and eternally orange horizons. The dry planet. Or is it? NASA says that evidence of flowing water has been found on Mars, therefore there may be the possibility of life there as well-- perhaps even life for us there one day. Well, this is a jump from when we speculated if faces lived among the sand nearly 40 years ago.

A photo, taken over a small areas of the Cydonia region of Mars, on July 25, 1976, sparked controversy and fascination when NASA released the image, taken by the Viking 1 orbiter.

Face on Mars Carolyn M Walker
Photo courtesy NASA
Could evidence of water on Mars be yet another controversial phenomenon? Only time will tell. In the mean time I might be inspired to write a short story about life on Mars. Who knows, it might even include a few flying pigs. :)


3 comments:

  1. What a cool discovery! I'm looking forward to reading about more research about the water found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another "flying pig", as you say. I really hope there's real, flowing water on Mars. That would be so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another "flying pig", as you say. I really hope there's real, flowing water on Mars. That would be so amazing!

    ReplyDelete